Look closely at the illustrations surrounding the advertisements. Add speech bubbles to bring the scene depicted at the top of the page to life.
Compare and contrast this Thanksgiving shopping insert with other 1914 inserts from around the country. What similarities do you notice? What differences do you notice? How do the 1914 advertisements compare to current Thanksgiving shopping advertisements?
- Rock Island Argus. (Rock Island, Ill.), 24 Nov. 1914.
- Omaha Daily Bee. (Omaha [Neb.]), 25 Nov. 1914.
- Dakota Farmers’ Leader. (Canton, S.D.), 20 Nov. 1914.
- Arizona Republican. (Phoenix, Ariz.), 24 Nov. 1914.
- The Seattle Star. (Seattle, Wash.), 25 Nov. 1914.
- The Washington Herald. (Washington, D.C.), 23 Nov. 1914.
What other observations, reflections or questions does this source inspire? Let us know!