Educators, check out these resources and strategies to help you as you guide students through the development of their National History Day (NHD) projects.
- Explore NHD’s origins.
- Discover the benefits of implementing NHD.
- Learn about Teacher of the Year Awards.
- Find your state affiliate.
- Sign up for the NHD newsletter.
Understanding NHD Projects
- Read the Contest Rule Book English | Spanish
- Watch the NHD Contest Rules video.
- Explore the categories. Click the orange buttons to learn more about each category.
- Scroll though the Contest FAQ.
- Watch the Evaluation Forms video.
- Access the NHD in the Classroom resource page, then be sure to click through to the following sections:
- Content Resources and Lesson Plans
- “Help, I’m a New NHD Teacher” Videos
- Past webinar recordings and other videos
NHD Quick Tips
- Show students national award-winning projects from previous contests.
- Share examples of high-quality student projects from previous years.
Exploring the theme
Each year NHD chooses a particular theme that must be the focus of student projects. Before doing anything else, make sure you understand the theme.
- Read the 2023 Theme Book – Frontiers in History: People, Places, Ideas.
- Watch the 2023 Theme Introduction Video on YouTube or Vimeo.
- Consider how the theme of Frontiers in History relates to people, places, events, technologies, and issues students learned about earlier this year and in previous years.
- Think about what the theme means to you personally and how it might relate to your students.
- Instruct students to complete the NHD 2023 Theme Graphic Organizer. fillable PDF
- Direct students to the NHD 2023: Topic Selection, Research, Sources & More post for tips and resources (coming soon) as they work on their projects. Sections include:
- Investigating & narrowing topic choices
- Getting started on your project
- Researching your topic
- Selecting & using sources
- Citing sources
- Putting it all together