Creating Authentic, Responsive and Engaged Learning in a Remote Situation
Below are recordings of four free webinars held April 21, 23, 28, 30, 2020. If you attended any webinar and didn’t receive the submission link to get CPDU/CEU credit, send an email.
Any educator who watches all four webinars can earn a micro-credential certificate in Innovative Remote Teaching Practices with Civic-Mindedness by completing the following: for each webinar, write a 200-word essay detailing how you will employ the information and strategies presented in the session in your classroom and email the essay here.
Navigating Teacher and Student Stress in Uncertain Times
In order to learn and engage fully with teaching and learning, managing stress is essential. This webinar began the series of four as the foundation of social emotional resiliency needed for true learning. Gain strategies to ease the stress and anxiety of this uncertain time as well as to support students in coping with stress and anxiety.
- Webinar 1 slide deck (.pdf)
- Webinar 1 chat transcript (.txt)
- Why Mindfulness Is a Superpower Happify video
- Mind Up Goldie Hawn Foundation
- Moshi sleep & mindfulness app for kids
- CALM app for adults
Getting Student Attention When Teaching Remotely
As teachers and students enter a new reality for learning, new methods of engaging students and shifting the paradigm of learning are needed. In this webinar, learn key strategies to: 1) establish a new classroom climate and culture, 2) create a system and structure to support independent learning, and 3) develop personalized strategies to gain student interest in learning.
- Webinar 2 slide deck (.pdf)
- Webinar 2 chat transcript (.txt)
- Bullet journaling Q&A (.mp3)
- Bullet Journaling for Students: DIY Back-To-School Planner for University & High School Caitlin’s Corner via YouTube
- Bullet Journals for Kids JiGi Fabulous via YouTube
Keeping Students Engaged When Teaching Remotely
As students are learning from home with a myriad of distractions, keeping them focused on learning in this new arena is essential. In this webinar, learn about proven teaching methodologies to keep student engagement and attention during remote teaching.
Empowering Students When Teaching Remotely
Remote teaching requires a shift in the roles of teacher and student. Empowered students are independent learners who can navigate critical thinking and creative thinking to reach new levels of achievement. In this webinar, Gain skills and strategies to teach remotely in ways that empower and enliven students.
- Webinar 4 slide deck (.pdf)
- Webinar 4 chat transcript (.txt)
- Learning About the Power of Empowerment David Hughes, Tedx Talk via YouTube
- News, Perspective, Bias Beginning, Intermediate, Advanced lessons OAV curriculum