Carefully study the details of the Bonus Veterans photograph above. Brainstorm a list of questions you would need answered in order to write an article about this image. Share your questions with an elbow partner, then investigate this primary source image set to see what questions you were able to answer. Write a brief summary of what you learned.
Work in groups to review the Washington, D.C. Evening Star coverage of the “Bonus Army” (see links below). Read the headlines and first couple of paragraphs as well as any image captions. Use what you learned to create a timeline summary of events.
- 05 June 1932
- 14 June 1932
- 15 June 1932
- 18 June 1932
- 02 July 1932
- 16 July 1932
- 25 July 1932
- 28 July 1932
- 30 July 1932
Compare your findings with the information presented in the articles below. What new information did you uncover? Compare what you learned about the Bonus Army with a contemporary event and consider the following question: How does informing ourselves about the past guide us in the future?
- The Bonus Army March American Treasures of the Library of Congress
- Patton and the Bonus March of 1932 America’s Library
- The “Bonus Army” Library of Congress Today in History
- Marching on History (optional) Smithsonian.com
What other observations, reflections or questions does this source inspire? Let us know!
- Today in History: The “Bonus Army” secondary & primary sources