Guided Primary Source Analysis: The Kingdom of France
Zoom into the center section of this map of the kingdom of France. Look carefully at the details shown in the map. Then read the text on the map. What can you tell about France from your analysis? Why do you think the creator chose to represent France as a ship? Now review the bibliographic record. When was this map created? Does the date and any other information from the bibliographic record help you to better answer the first two questions? How?
Now zoom into the full map. With your class or a group of students, use the text to create an illustrated timeline of events to accompany the map.
On November 13, 2015, terrorists attacked multiple locations in Paris, France, killing well over 100 people and injuring hundreds more. Review news articles about French government and citizen responses to the attacks; you can use the articles linked to below or find articles on your own. Then create a symbolic map, like the one above, of Paris, of France, or of a larger area that you think illustrates or represents the event and the French response to it.
- What you need to know about Paris attacks and the situation in France Nov. 14, 2015 Le Monde Global Edition
- One French artist’s defiant, life-affirming response to the Paris attacks Nov. 14, 2015 Quartz
- War in Paris Nov. 15, 2015 Agence France-Presse/AFP
- France Strikes ISIS Targets in Syria in Retaliation for Attacks Nov. 15, 2015 New York Times
- After Paris Attacks, a Darker Mood Toward Islam Emerges in France Nov. 16, 2015 New York Times
- Analysis: The dilemma for France Nov. 16, 2015 Aljazeera
- French jets bomb ISIS stronghold of Raqqa, Syria; few may have been killed Nov. 16, 2015 CNN
- French police carry out 150 raids over Paris attacks Nov. 16, 2015 Aljazeera
- Paris attacks: Defiant French businesses carrying on Nov. 16, 2015 BBC
- Paris attacks: ‘France will destroy IS’ – Hollande Nov. 16, 2015 BBC
- Charlie Hebdo has a defiant response to the Paris terrorist attacks Nov. 17, 2015 Business Insider
- France and England Show Unity on Soccer Field Nov. 17, 2015 U.S. News & World Report
- French Return to Cafes in a Show of Defiance Nov. 17, 2015 New York Times
- The husband of Paris victim tells ISIS: You can’t make me hate Nov. 17, 2015 CNN
- Slogans of unity show defiant spirit of Paris Nov. 17, 2015 The Local, France’s news in English
- Syrians in Raqqa tell of ‘insane nights’ of air strikes Nov. 17, 2015 Aljazeera
- Locals up in arms after police raid suburban mosque Nov. 18, 2015 France 24
- Paris Responds to Terrorist Attacks With Red Wine, Rock Music, and Defiance Nov. 18, 2015 Inverse
If you know of another article to add to the list, please add the title and a URL in the comments section.
What other observations, reflections or questions does this source inspire? Let us know!