Today in History–September 28–the Library of Congress features William Christopher Handy, whose song the “Memphis Blues” was published on this date in 1912. Handy introduced the blues into mainstream music and became known as the father of the blues. Find out more by visiting the Today in History section, then click the links below to access a rich collection of blues music resources.
Chicago blues songs lyrics from oral history
Library blog posts
- Celebrating Bessie Smith: “Empress of the Blues” In The Muse April 30, 2018
- From “Mule-een” to New Orleans: Just What Was Lead Belly Saying? Folklife Today August 23, 2017
- The Painful Birth of Blues and Jazz Folklife Today February 24, 2017
- Sheet Music and Pic of the Week: Happy Birthday Bessie Smith! In the Muse April 15, 2011
- Sheet Music Spotlight: Shrapnel Blues Edition In the Muse February 24, 2016