Zoom into the selected section of the primary source shown above. Look closely at the details and answer the questions below.
- What do you see?
- What is happening in this scene?
- How do you feel when you look at this scene?
- What do you wonder about?
Now look at the complete primary source and answer the questions below.
- What additional information do you gain from the text?
- What do you think the creator wanted you to think when looking at this scene?
- What do you think the creator wanted you to feel when looking at this scene?
- Does the author’s purpose match what you think and feel? Why or why not?
Look at the bibliographic record. What more did you learn? Based on what you know about this topic and time period in U.S. history, how would you alter this scene? Recreate the scene in a way that you think represents the historical context of the time.
What other observations, reflections or questions does this source inspire? Let us know!