Primary sources engage all students—elementary, middle and high school. Below are some worksheets to help elementary students, in particular, to analyze primary source images and texts. These worksheets were created by TPS-Barat and master teacher Kimberly Heckart, who teaches third grade at Prairie Ridge Elementary in Cedar Rapids, Iowa and Elementary Social Studies Methods at the University of Iowa. Kim whose accolades include Elementary Social Studies Teacher of the Year for both the Iowa and National Councils for the Social Studies and Gilder Lehrman Teacher of the Year.
Please feel free to download and distribute the worksheets but please keep the formatting of those with logos intact.
- Connecting to the Common Core: K-5 CCSS Writing Prompts & Activities
- Guided primary source analysis activities for elementary students
- Learning from the Source: Abraham Lincoln & Me Primary Source Activity Book
- Learning from the Source: The Star Spangled Banner K-2
- Learning from the Source: The Star Spangled Banner 3-5
- Literature Links: And to Think That I Saw It on Mulberry Street
- Literature Links: My Daniel – Hunting dinosaurs in Nebraska
- Literature Links: Kicking It Off with Kate DiCamillo
- Literature Links: Predicting & Inferring about Woman Suffrage